Friday, January 26, 2007

The many uses of dryer sheets

As I reheat my fusili leftovers, allow me to preach for a moment on the many uses of fabric softener dryer sheets. There are SO many things you can do with these frickin things. First, obviously, put them in the dryer so your clothes come out smelling nice and feeling fuzzy and wonderful. Next, use the sheets to clean dust off of sensitive television and computer screens. They have no abrasive parts to their surfaces and their negatively charged static state encourages the dust to hop off the screen onto the sheet. Similarly, if wet slightly, they can be used to clean/dust horizontal blinds with great success. Again the negative static thing is helping to pick up the dust, but it's also transferring some of that property to the blinds and encouraging them not to attract dust quite as much as before. But perhaps my favorite use of dryer sheets is on my hair. Yes, that's right, my hair. Did you ever have a morning where you get up and your well tended coif is static-y as hell? And every time you run the brush through it the hairs just stand up higher? And you think, well maybe I can wet the brush just a little and it will tame the static. But, OH NO, you remember, your straightened hair is only staying straight because you blasted it with heat and then flattened it with an IRON. And if even the slightest degree of moisture gets back in it, it will wave (or curl depending on your hair) back into the rat's nest it was pre-straightening. (Why we never straighten our hair on really humid days too.) Well I have a solution for you!!! Take a (fresh, not old) sheet of fabric softener and gently rub it down the sides of your head. This will tame your static infused hair, and leave your hair perfectly straight. Woo! I'm sure there are even more ways to use dryer sheets - experiment and love their wonder! (yes, I'm aware this post makes me a total freak!) :-)

No comments: