Friday, February 2, 2007

The Devil Wears Prada

Note: Semi-spoilers to follow. I love love loved this movie! I can't even tell you! Meryl Streep is a goddess. I love her wig in this movie; I think it's a good look for her. She plays her character so so well. She's cool as a cucumber, only revealing emotion through the most minute and rare gestures or looks, that if you blink, you could miss. Although in the book (apparently, I've never read it) she is a totally unredeemable ice bitch, the movie garners some sympathy for Miranda Priestly through some added plot elements (her divorce) and a more sympathetic take on Andy. Let's talk about Andy. Everyone harped on Anne Hathaway's performance, but I thought she did an alright job. To be honest, her character wasn't the most important character in the story, and the writing reflected that. On the plot, I think it's a little silly that in the end Andy and her beau end up sort of patching things up - I mean he's going to live in Boston for cripes sake. But if the writers really felt the need to tie up the 'romantic' vein of the story line I can't really complain too much, since it didn't affect the main plotline. On another note, the woman who played Emily (what was her name? IMDB, hold on…) - Emily Blunt - she was frickin awesome! She stole every scene she was in (or at the very least, the best lines were written for her!) Some of my favorite scenes were: when Miranda goes on a rant about Andy's "cerulean" (*not blue*) sweater, the scene with Emily and Andy before Andy's interview, the first shopping of the "runway closet" with Andy and Nigel. Some things that bothered me: they did NOT have to make Andy end up a size 4!! The message they're sending there is that she accepts it's totally not okay for her to be a size 6 and that's fuckin ridiculous. Also, the fact that she sleeps with Christian. Anyway, these are mostly minor things. Overall, I thought this was a highly entertaining piece of film, and would suggest a view to any readers who missed it.

No comments: