Monday, February 19, 2007

Nike does it again + Quiz Show

Nike has traditionally been one of the top 10 companies with regard to both expenditure and creative use of advertising dollars. On this note, I have to jump in and say that the ad I saw yesterday (for their new XX2 Air Jordan) captured me so thoroughly I immediately turned on my PC to see if I could find it on youtube and watch it again. However, though youtube does have a copy of it, it's poor quality and can be seen easier here. This ad is genius. Not only does it make use of one of my favorite pieces of all time, Mozart's Requiem (the Lacrimosa movement) it is a very artistically shot piece as well. It uses real looking people in a common situation, but arts it the hell up with some classical music. Love just the concept alone. Also, whoever did the sound editing was very smart. First, the vocals enter the piece just as the opposing team comes out of the shadows to steal the ball. Next, the music is ascending the whole time said opponent is soaring upwards towards the basket, and concludes its theme just as the ball goes in. Then tragedy strikes, felt in the dark overtones of the Lacrimosa. I especially love the shot of the guy ripping his jersey, and the wildcat head rolling on the floor. Great stuff. My only complaint (with the sound editing) is that the transition into Lacrimosa's concluding "Amen" could have been a bit smoother at the end. They sort of cut off the dark buildup before it climaxes. Feels a bit rough. But otherwise, I totally love this ad. A way to merge pop culture with older culture and create something accessible to a wide range of people. Well done, Nike.

On another note, watched "Quiz Show" on Friday nite, and loved it. The ending made me a little sad, I have to say, but what an entertaining movie! I've never been a huge fan of Ralph Fiennes, but I liked him in this. I've never seen "The English Patient" (it's in the queue) which seems to be one of his most loved roles. Though Lord Voldemort might win out by the time the HP movies are finished. The most memorable other things I remember seeing him in were "Red Dragon" which I absolutely hated, and "Schindler's List," which I mean, c'mon, who sits down to watch that on a regular basis? Great movie, but not something you have a strong desire to watch again. Apparently he's in "The Constant Gardener" which is also in my queue. So maybe I'll have to reform my opinion once I see two more with old Ralph. But anyway, back to "Quiz Show." Now there's a movie that's rife with "that-guys." You know, the one's you point at during the movie and go "HEY it's THAT guy!!" For example, Timothy Busfield, totally a that guy. I don't think he even has any lines in "Quiz Show" - maybe one. Same goes for William Fichtner, the Kevin Bacon look-alike who's always turning up in random movies (i.e. Armageddon, Contact, etc.) Actually I'm pretty sure he didn't actually have any lines in this movie, he was just in the background of a lot of shots at NBC. Also, Paul Guilfoyle, who I know mostly from CSI, it was totally random to see him. He played one of the legislative oversight guys, but again, hardly any lines. Anyway, I'm off the point. Crazy full cast, really cool story, very good film.

4 comments:

Gloria Quincy said...

Constant Gardener gets a vote from me. It's very compelling (though being based on a Le Carre novel kinda means it has to end only one way).

Clarion Content said...

Can't say about the Constant Gardener. Found the English Patient an insufferable bore. A travel guide disguised as a movie.

If you want to watch a good film based on a Le Carre, I highly recommend The Tailor of Panama with Geoffrey Rush and Rene Russo.

As for the Nike ad, I too. love it. Hadn't seen it before you linked it.

quick rant...

How much talent is wasted in advertising? The geniuses who come up with this stuff, there is so much great, truly brilliant advertising, what else could they be creating instead? Will advertising be retained as Art, fifty, a hundred odd years down the line? Is any output produced by advertising? If it is not Art, is it adding something to the product in terms of net value?

Clarion Content said...

Other people's favorite Nike ads...

People's fav

Advertiser's fav

SongInHerSky said...

thanks for the tailor of panama recommendation. just added it to my netflix queue. i will check out the favorite ads now. you are so right, i.e. wasted advertising talent, and i think we've had that very same discussion before!