Monday, July 25, 2011

Musical Mondays: Great Album, Underrated Track

I've been listening to a lot of Cake lately. This is because I'm working on a much longer post about my favorite ten bands. Recently, a friend was in town visiting and asked me about my favorite bands, and except for #1 I didn't have a ready answer. I had lots of bands I thought might be included on the list, but no set order and no decisions about their relationships/position versus each other. So anyway, as part of writing that piece and listening to make small judgments, I am relistening to a lot of contenders, of which Cake is one.

I remember having an argument with my friend Mark a few years ago about which Cake album was the best. Although "Fashion Nugget" tends to be most critics preference, and I agree there is undeniable brilliance in it, I think I prefer "Comfort Eagle." Reason being, I can listen to CE all the way through without skipping a single track, but I almost always skip "Land of Race Car Ya Yas" and/or "She'll Come Back to Me" when listening to FN. Mark of course thought I was crazy for skipping ANY of the tracks on Fashion Nugget.

Anyway, in light of all that, I decided to make the musical monday one of my favorites from FN. I think it's a simple but brilliant song about the ending of a relationship. There's no personal significance to this pick or anything, I just really think it's an absolutely great song. And I definitely think this track is underrated or discounted versus other songs on the album. So enjoy!

No comments: