Monday, January 22, 2007

I remembered! Pilates and Dinner!

One thing just to throw out there quickly. Ever since the second week or so of December I've been off program. For those who don't get what that means, I'm referring to Weight Watchers. I've been doing it with my Mom for the past three years. Usually when I tell people that I've been doing it for a couple years, they express extreme surprise (since I've only lost about 30 pounds in that time.) But my feeling on that subject is that I'm doing it the right way - changing my whole lifestyle and not just "dieting." Plus weight that comes off too fast is less likely to stay off. Regardless (I'm off topic here) I have been needing to get back on program in a serious way. Even though I'd been walking consistently through most of December (as in walking for exercise) my food habits were all over the place. So I figured I might feel more encouraged to get back to better foods if I kicked my exercise up a notch. Explanation for this being that I am actually less likely to go crazy with food if I feel like I have some behavioral leeway from my exercise. So the whole point of this is just to say that I went back to my hour long pilates class at the gym today, and it felt great! I hadn't been since somewhere around last August (06). My abs, of course, had something to say about it which was "WHY???? OH GOD, WHY?!?!" but they'll get used to it again soon I hope.

The other reason for the post was that I made an awesome awesome new recipe tonight. Extremely healthy and very tasty. Here it is:


Fusili with Yellow Pepper Sauce

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 large yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp table salt
  • 2 cup uncooked fusilli
  • 4 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 2 Tbsp parsley, minced
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste (I used more)

Instructions

  • Combine water, pepper, onion, tomato, oil, salt, and ground pepper in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates, 15 to 18 minutes. Add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if liquid evaporates too fast.

  • Meanwhile, cook fusilli according to package instructions. Drain and put in a serving bowl.

  • Transfer vegetables to a blender or food processor. Add ricotta cheese and purée. Pour over fusilli and toss to coat. Serve, sprinkled with parsley and Parmesan cheese.

Tips:
If yellow peppers are unavailable, red or orange will work just as well. But steer clear of green peppers - the flavor is too strong. Also, if you're a weight watchers member, this can either be 2 dinner sized servings for 8.5 points each (and 2 veggie servings!) or 4 lunch sized portions at 4 points each (and 1 veggie serving.)


So there you have it - I highly recommend it, and hope whoever reads this will give it a try!

2 comments:

Gloria Quincy said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

SongInHerSky said...

hey, no prob bob! i plan to include recipes fairly often in the hopes that ww people will discover them! share the healthy food love, and all.