Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Departed

Keith and I went to the movies today to see this. And we both liked it, though we disagreed a bit about how it should have ended. My argument was that it ended the only way it could have to leave watchers feeling justified about each character's appropriate ending. Keith wanted certain characters to survive, but mostly for the frivolous reason of thinking we could maybe get a sequel. Anyway, it was a little bloodier than I prefer my thrillers or mob movies, but I lived. And I thought it was an excellent story. And pretty impeccably acted. Even by old Jack (who's getting a little too old to play a badass in my opinion). Stellar supporting turns from Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin (who says my favorite line in the movie - "The patriot act! I love it! I love the Patriot Act!" -- You have to see it to get why it's funny.) And oh man, just like that, btw, all Leo has to do is take his shirt off onscreen and I'm back in Romeo and Juliet la la land where I have a huge crush on his poor soul. Aaaanyway. Weird to see Matt Damon so dark. He was the one character I wasn't entirely convinced with. Every once in a while I felt like he let his acting guard down, and I didn't believe he was that bad.

The movie theater in my town, btw, is really cute. It's only 6 theaters, but they tend to play decent stuff (a mix of popular and art-house), and pretty comfy seats. Small theaters too, but with big screens, making for an up close and personal (but not too close) movie-watching experience. Plus there's a starbucks less than a block away, where Keith and I happily went for a coffee afterwards. Then I made us a yummy dinner, which will be a separate post, because I want to share the recipe!

Oh, also, final note: Keith and I checked out VeryFunnyAds.com today, and holy shit there are some great ones. I highly recommend "Tea Partay" and "Condoms." We were rolling on the floor.

No comments: